The following instructions and information are provided to help you though the recovery process. Please review these carefully before your surgery and call our office at (865) 218-6210 should you have any questions before or after your surgery.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home and stay with you for the first night after your surgery.
- Do not smoke for 24 hours after surgery.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours after surgery or while taking prescribed narcotic medications.
- Resume a regular diet and activity as tolerated.
- Take prescribed medications as directed by Dr. Lucas.
- Apply cool compresses as directed to help reduce swelling.
- Elevate head of bed 30 degrees until swelling subsides.
- Shower and wash hair after first post-surgery appointment; a hair dryer with no heat may be used.
- Brush hair gently.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for six weeks, i.e., heavy lifting, running.
- Your post-op appointment will be the day following surgery.
What to Expect after Surgery:
- Swelling and bruising
- Numbness and tightness
- Minimal pain controlled by prescribed analgesic
- Low-grade fever
If you experience any of the following, call our office at (865) 218-6210:
- Severe pain not controlled by prescribed analgesic
- Fever greater than 101.5
- Nausea and/or vomiting